Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Dave's Anatomy: My History As a Writer, #15: Mother Earth and Pretentious Seminarians, or "The Gaia Contract"



 
Gaia
I began to run dry on story ideas for my ongoing character and started to write tales without her benevolent presence—without the subject of music, a thing I know a lot about;  without the struggles and ironies of being a musician;  without the conflicts one runs into when playing gigs.  But there are other things going in the world, and the past always generously supplies. I came up with the idea for a story called "The Gaia Contract."  The past supplied again.

I attended a college that had a seminary attached to it. Seminarians, training for ministry, can be good, kind, thoughtful people; but they can also be pretentious prigs. And the pretentious ones are the ones you remember. What struck me as annoying is that the seminarians I knew were so—well, Shakespeare would have called them "precise." To be a "precisian" in his day was to be someone who had an extremely narrow theological approach and would not vary from it at all. A precisian's beliefs were set in stone and any slight variance, any open-minded interpretation, any deviation from what they considered the orthodox norm was off-limits to their thinking.

I knew one guy who wouldn't let his kids watch cartoons because cartoons presented a false picture of God's creation:  animals can't talk. Another told me he never read Shakespeare because Shakespeare was a moral relativist. A line in Hamlet said, "There is nothing neither good nor bad, but thinking makes it so."  It was pointless to try to say that cartoons were harmless entertainment, like fairy tales, or that something Shakespeare has a character say does not necessarily reflect his personal views on a matter. But arguing with these pastors-in-training proved a pointless endeavor. They were impervious to other viewpoints.

One friend was so pious he would 
never call a stretch of winding
road outside of town "the Devil's backbone." Everyone around there used the nickname, but he probably thought using the Devil's name to characterize landscape constituted something evil. He did not celebrate Christmas, Halloween, or Easter, saying there were holidays with pagan roots.

As I thought on this, a story formed. What if someone ran up against a pagan god or goddess and got obnoxious with them? In my story, the character of Bob becomes hypercritical of an organic farm called Gaia Farms. And the people there, neopagans, worship the ancient goddess of earth and soil. Bob tells the narrator they sacrifice animals. He replies they are vegans. Bob insists that in ancient times, Gaia's followers spilled human or animal blood on the furrows of fields to ensure good crops. Bob eventually becomes pastor of a small church near the farm.

The narrator gets a call that Bob has been killed. An automobile accident severs an artery in his leg. Leaving a trail of blood, he crawls across the fields of—you guessed it—Gaia Farms while a worship of the goddess is going on. The people try to help him, but it's too late. When the wife in the couple that owns the farm starts to make a disclaimer, the narrator holds up his hand and says she doesn't need to say anything. It was an accident. But, at the same time, it's not good to bad-mouth Mother Nature.

The story was an ironic take on closed-mindedness and pretense. It got published in decomP magazine. I read, a week later, that a site on the internet rated decomP as one of the ten best literary sites on the web, which encouraged me (and boosted my ego, I will admit).

So I was not writing songs about music or about Sossity Chandler, my ongoing character. Maybe I had become too dependent on her. What followed was a series of stories that went off in new directions. More on this to come.

Here is a link to read "The Gaia Contract."

For more titles, check out my Writer's Page.


Summer reading:  What do the Brothers Grimm have to say for science fiction?  Read my novella, Mother Hulda.

I would love to hear your comments and observations. Have you ever run up against pretentious people?  Written about them? What did you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment